Thursday, November 12, 2009

What now?

Well, so much for smooth sailing. I returned to the emergency room on November 7th, because I was having terrible pains inside my stomach. Micah finally forced me to go in, on the grounds that he couldn't handle seeing me in such pain any longer. He was right too. It seems I got an infection in my bowels and needed to be hospitalized for 3 nights while they got control of the infection. I was completely wiped out. It was hard to talk, to eat, to move. Even my sleep was robbed due to terrible sharp pains that gurgled and snapped inside my gut. I was glad Micah was there as a solid rod to hang onto in this frustrating point of time.


I kept telling him, "I felt so much better before my surgery." Atleast that pain was more tolerable. He gave me a gentle reassurrance, "don't worry Emily . . . we are going to get through this. I'll be here for you. And you are going to see that you will feel so good after all this is said and done." I love this man. He may be young, but he is wise and strong. Just what I need.




Jeremiah and Kirsten have been so wonderful to help out my family. They watched our children in times when we needed it, as well as Kirsten prepared the meals for them while I was in and and out of the hospital. I'm almost scared to start cooking for my kids again because Kirsten is a fantastic cook. They'll miss the gourmet meals. We truly love them and appreciate their help.




Arianna and Isaac visited me in the hospital.





Doug (a guy both Micah and I work with) visited me in the hospital. It was really nice of him to bring me a gift. He gave me stuffed puppy and the movie called Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. He loves movies, so it suited him well (at work, he always comes up to me just to discuss the next great box office or tv series - something we both enjoy - makes me smile). Micah said that when he took Doug to the store that Doug kept asking, "should I get this, should I get that?" Finally Micah had to say, "listen Doug - if I choose everything you get for her, then it will be from me and not you. And you want the gift from you." It was cute. He did a good job. I have to admit though, I was soooooo nervous for anyone from work to visit me there because I had no makeup on, I felt terrible, and I wasn't sure I had the stamina to stay awake more then five minutes. And that might even be pushing it. Plus the people at work only see me when I'm all dressed up, perky, and wearing my happy go lucky expression. A smile. But he was sweet to say, "you are looking good." Common courtesy, I'm sure. Smiles.

My family in Utah was also very concerned. My mother was great to give me or Micah a call to constantly check up on me. If it wasn't for me telling her not too, she would have been on a plane destined to Seattle the soonest she could type in her credit card number in the computer and get to the airport. But I just wasn't sure how long I would be sick, or how long the stay in the hospital would be.

Today, five days after my ER visit - is the first day I feel somewhat human. Though it's hard to admit, I was feeling pretty discouraged. Hopeless. I'm glad there is sunshine at the end of a very trying tunnel.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. O am so glad that you are doing it so that I can keep up with what you are doing. I love those kids. We miss you and love you. I am so glad that you are feeling better. Mom and Sheila

    ReplyDelete