Monday, February 1, 2010

Green for GO!!!


Just wanted to make mention of something that I thought was funny. But first, I’m going to have to start from the beginning . . . .


My six year old son, Isaac is above his grade level in school so often times this results in absolute boredom. He isn’t the kind of child to just quietly sit back and enjoy his surroundings with a sort of peace and absorbance. Instead he uses himself to tease and harass his fellow classmates. Girls, specifically. And in his classroom, his teacher tries to manage children’s behavior by giving either a GREEN (Great), YELLOW (warning), or RED (strike out) cards. His teacher sends home the color that Isaac gets everyday (per my request) so I could work with him in mending his behavior.

So here was my plan . . .

Isaac is a video game lover like any little boy his age. And I’m a lover of peace at school. SO when he brings home a GREEN card, he is able to play video games that night. Anything else, and he loses out completely. RED sends him to bed for the evening. And my children know I am serious.

Well, this plan of action has worked wonderfully. He has brought home GREEN after GREEN for the last month. I have been so relieved because I know he is a sweet child and want others to see that as well.

The other day Isaac came up to me with a very serious expression, “mom, I need to talk with you.” He requests.

I immediately stop typing on my computer and turn to look at him, “what is it, sweetie?”

“Can we not do GREEN cards for video games anymore?”

“Uh, no. Of course we gonna keep doing that.” Smiles. I think he is getting tired of not doing as he wishes at school. I could read it in his expression, a sort of way to beg to return to his teasing behavior.

“But why?” he whines.

“Cause it works.”

“Well how long do I have to do it?”

“Forever.”

“ALL of first grade?”

“Yep.”

“AND second grade?”

“Probably.”

“When I’m a dad?”

I grinned at him, “if you still need a GREEN card when you’re a dad to choose good behavior, then you can do it then as well.”

He sighed, “yeah, I might.” He says before he turns away , shoulders slumped and walks out of the kitchen.

Not more then five minutes later he comes running in, with tears running down his face. “Mom, I think Levi needs to be given a RED card.” He yelps.

I had to laugh. You always can count on ideas spilling from Isaac’s lips. And some of them are pretty good ideas as well. I might just have to instill the colored cards after all. Always room for improvement.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Isaac He is so dang cute. I think it is a great idea for you to take away video games for bad behavior. I love that he is clever enough that he is trying to get out of it. But at least he is still doing well at school. That is great! Love you guys. Sheila

    ReplyDelete